Opportunity to join a successful team of dedicated professionals based in Birmingham, Alabama in a market leading business supplying highly-engineered, fabricated metal products to the transportation infrastructure industry.
We are searching for a quality individual to fill a highly skilled position in the Engineering Department. Initial duties include structural steel detailing via AutoCAD, interpretation of construction plans and survey information, as well as daily problem solving and purposeful research. Engineering acuity and an understanding of basic design principles is helpful. This is a challenging position which requires a high degree of personal discipline and technical expertise.
- Reports to the General Managers, Chief Engineer and Project Design Engineers
- Minimum 1-year degree in drafting required, or three years of drafting experience
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Determine information from construction plans and field surveys
- Create structure shop drawings for fabrication and field assembly
- Check shop and field erection drawings for accuracy and completeness per project specifications
- Coordinates with designers and project engineers daily to ensure drawings meet project requirements
- Coordinates with key shop personnel to establish best practices on the shop drawings
- Develop working knowledge of specifications: ASTM, AASHTO, AWS D1.1, AISC and various State DOT standards
- Utilize MS Excel daily (understanding of Visual Basic Applications for Macros a plus)
- Drafting in AutoCAD (2018) – LISP programming is a plus
- Daily use of MS Outlook
Desired qualities and skills include:
- Highly organized and self-motivated, able to manage and prioritize multiple concurrent and competing challenges and projects
- Good communication and relationship building skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot Business Information Systems
- Experience in engineering and materials fabrication environment, particularly in design or detailing, is highly preferable
- Experience with Tekla Structures is a plus
Hourly rate will be commensurate with experience. Attractive benefits package including medical, vision, dental, 401(k), bonus potential, ten paid holidays and paid vacation.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org